{Grate}-ful

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

grate·ful/ˈgrātfəl/

Adjective: Feeling or showing an appreciation of kindness; thankful.

That’s what my heart is.  It’s bursting inside, feeling the love from others, love for my Savior.  My heart is so thankful.  As I think of what this year has meant for us, for friends, for family…it’s been hard for so many in so many ways and yet I’m so thankful for my fingers, my toes, my health, my husband, my friends and my family.

But right now, reflecting on the past year, there is one thing I’m really thankful for today and that is Gospel, saturated music.  I know some don’t love Christian music, maybe it’s cheesy or over the top, I’m with you on some things.  And yet, what keeps me grounded and holds me close to Jesus, is the ever present Gospel in my mind.  When the words of How Great Thou Art or I Need Thee or Nothing but the Blood flood my mind in those moments, when Satan creeps in, when He daily attempts to pull me away, those words, rooted in the Gospel turn my mind and heart to Jesus. 

So often over the past year I’ve needed that.  When my flesh is weak and I’m resistant to being in the word, the music gently reminds me, pulls me in to what really matters.  I’m thankful for that today, that as our music choices have turned to Christmas, the message is still the same.  It’s all about the Gospel…our lives, we’re here to glorify Christ, no matter the circumstances, and hearing in song the struggle, the joy, the endurance, the gratitude, it’s hard for it not to take root.

If you’re interested in good Gospel music, checkout Praise FM 95.3 or some of our favorite channels on Pandora:  Sovereign Grace, Derek Webb, and Downhere (holiday).

Last weekend I headed to our church’s annual Christmas Luncheon for the women.  The music, again, aligned my heart to ready itself for this season, to honor Jesus.  We’re big fans of Downhere but I had forgotten this song they sang, it’s a favorite, and here's my favorite part of the chorus...

How many kings, stepped down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
How many Gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that has torn all apart?
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?
Only one did that for me


Celebrate Jesus this season...



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
all photos and content copyright of The Brogle's 2007-2011. Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP